Year 3: Operational Excellence
YEAR 3 GOALS
- Improve Value Stream Management (VSM) — Increase Value Stream Management from 58% to 90% of participating hospitals by training and coaching to guide skill development at the enterprise and the value stream level building the infrastructure and competency necessary to drive and sustain operational improvement.
- Change Management Competency — Assure that participating hospitals build competency to initiate and sustain change management efforts at the enterprise level.
- Assure a Full Complement of Lean Expertise — Assure that participating hospitals have a full complement of developing lean expertise to execute an enterprise lean plan, and to drive and sustain value stream improvement.
A TEAM APPROACH
Participating hospitals are divided into three regional teams consisting of key executive leaders; advanced lean candidates; key senior or frontline leaders; and emerging leaders.
|Fayette Regional Health System
Greene County General Hospital
Harrison County Hospital
Rush Memorial Hospital
St. Vincent Salem Hospital
Decatur County Memorial Hospital
Franciscan Health Rensselaer
Pulaski Memorial Hospital
Cameron Memorial Community Hospital
YEAR 3 STRATEGY
Lean Leadership Training — Each regional team will meet to learn about what it takes to be a lean leader, and to undergo a Strategic Doing workshop aimed at guiding stakeholders to innovative, grassroots solutions that will build a culture in which lean can thrive and grow. This workshop will be followed by Lean Daily Improvement (LDI) training to teach leaders to implement small-scale change through the execution of rapid-cycle learning loops that facilitate group learning and use data to evaluate and measure progress.
Gemba Coaching — PHA will provide remote coaching once a month, and onsite gemba coaching for two full days over the next year. Coaching at the gemba drives and sustains lean improvement work at all levels of the organization, and will include observation of work in progress at the frontline with LDI huddles and Value Stream Improvement Team (VSIT) meeting as well as work with team members and key leaders engaged in Strategic Doing efforts. It’s intended to optimize experiential learning for all those engaged in continuous process improvement, providing reinforcement and redirection-in-action with individuals and groups.
Additional Learning Opportunities
- Rapid Improvement Events (RIEs) — Scheduled for September 25-28 and and November 6-9, 2017, the RIEs will be facilitated by a PHA lean expert at two separate hospital sites, and will include onsite coaching and a debriefing of Lean Practitioner (LP) Candidates.
- Advanced Lean Practitioner (ALP) Four-Day Training Event — Scheduled for January 22-25, 2018, the flipped-classroom event is open to ten (10) individuals from participating hospitals, with priority to organizations without ALP Candidates.
Year 3 Flyer (printable pdf)
*Funding for this project was made possible by Flex funding, HRSA Grant # H54RH00042, from the Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) to the Indiana State Office of Rural Health.