Use SHIP funds to maximize improvement at your rural hospitalTuesday, November 29, 2016
Small Rural Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP) FY2016 grant participants are eligible to utilize funds from the Indiana State Office of Rural Health to improve performance in 2017. Specifically, these hospitals are able to use SHIP funding to address unmet needs in the categories of:
- Value-Based Purchasing,
- Accountable Care Organization (ACO) or Shared Savings Investments, or
- Payment Bundling or Prospective Payment System (PB/PPS).
Eligible initiatives focus on improvements in the areas of data collection activities (those that support quality improvement), and building accountability across the continuum of care for payment bundling.
Purdue Healthcare Advisors works with Critical Access and Rural Hospitals to maximize the benefit achieved from SHIP funds. Recently, we worked with a rural hospital that was reporting an annual reimbursement denial rate with a financial impact of more than $1M and rising. Through a Rapid Improvement Event (RIE) focused on the revenue cycle process, we helped the team identify the root causes of the process breakdown and develop cost-saving solutions.
PHA's Senior Advisor Brian Hudson says the current funding cycle for SHIP runs from August 1, 2016 to May 31, 2017. Because all improvement work must be completed by the end of May, hospitals must contract with PHA by the end of January 2017 to begin work. PHA, however, can begin working with hospitals as early as next month.
Some of the offerings and recent projects have focused on:
- Lean Practitioner training – Training and providing coaching resources to lead lean improvements with cross-functional teams utilizing Rapid Improvement Events
- Lean Daily Improvement training – Learn how to choose a key performance metric; collect and display data visually; run team huddles to get to root causes; assign corrective actions; and keep the process moving.
- Rapid Improvement Event facilitation – PHA Advisors facilitate a multi-day RIE on site in an identified area to accelerate your improvement efforts or provide needed attention in a focused area.
Contracting with PHA to maximize your SHIP funding can positively impact operational costs and improve patient outcomes. Contact Brian Hudson to discuss how we can work together in 2017
Writer: Brian Hudson, 765-496-0099, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tags: Process & Cost Improvement (Lean)