Health Systems Change Partnerships
Enrollment Status: Full/Closed
About the Program
The Indiana Tobacco Control Program (TCP) Health System Change Partnerships initiative was created to build the capacity within Indiana health systems to impact tobacco use, specifically supporting integration of tobacco dependence treatment. In plain speak, the multi-year initiative aims to create systems of intervention inside hospitals to help people quit smoking. It allows for organizations to implement systems-change initiatives and provide technical assistance/services targeting the implementation of best practices for tobacco dependence treatment with regard to care coordination; quality improvement; and the utilization of electronic health records.
The Partners and Participants
Partnering together for health systems change are the Cancer Support Community, Community Health Network, the Indiana Hospital Association, the Indiana Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Rethink Tobacco Indiana, and Southwestern Behavioral Health. These partnerships are expected to lay the foundation for future systems-change efforts and build support and knowledge focused on systems change and quality improvement in Indiana. TCP wants to replicate and share lessons learned to continue informing the work and building capacity within health systems.
In addition to cancer center at Community Health Network's Anderson hospital, the cancer pavilions at Good Samaritan and Kings Daughter Health are serving as pilot locations through the Cancer Support Community in partnership with the Indiana Cancer Consortium. The Indiana Hospital Association is guiding the following health systems through the initiative: Columbus Regional Hospital; Greene County General Hospital, Marion General Hospital, Baptist Health, and Pulaski Memorial Hospital. The Indiana Rural Health Association is guiding Putnam County Hospital, Franciscan Health-Rensselaer and Decatur County Memorial Hospital in their hospital's change efforts.
Purdue's Role as a Technical Assistance Partner
As a Technical Assistance Partner to the initiative under a quality improvement grant from the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Commission, Purdue Healthcare Advisors serves as an interface between public health and eight of the hospitals, facilitating lean process improvement to build new standard work within several different value streams as each hospital selected an initial patient population for intervention (i.e. ICU, oncology, maternity, and prevention).
- Columbus Regional Hospital has implemented their system change efforts in their labor and delivery department and are targeting women coming in for their 36-week prepare visit through their 6-week postpartum visit.
- Greene County General Hospital will provide tobacco treatment specialist services within the inpatient respiratory therapy and plan to expand to the Chronic Disease Care Navigator face-to-face services.
- Marion General Hospital is focusing their system change efforts on patients in their inpatient critical care department, providing tobacco treatment specialist services and NRT prescribed with the goal to expand efforts to the med/surg and telemetry units.
- Baptist Health – Floyd County will implement their tobacco system change project in their inpatient medical-surgical Unit.
- Pulaski Memorial Hospital will implement their tobacco change efforts in their inpatient and outpatient OB/GYN departments.
- Putnam County Hospital is planning their cessation activities in their Women’s Health Clinic facilitated by the OB navigator.
- Franciscan Health-Rensselaer is focusing on cessation activities for its Health Screenings Program and Brook Rural Health Clinic.
- Decatur County Memorial Hospital's cessation strategies will include remote cessation counseling and medication and to increase staff capacity with tobacco treatment specialty training.
RN, MSN, LPC
PHA Director & RCHE Assistant Director
Sign up for PHA eNews to receive communication on compliance reporting, process improvement and health IT news as well as training opportunities.
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
“This Is Purdue” welcomes former Indiana Health Commissioner and U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams to Purdue as the university's first executive director of health equity initiatives. ...
Purdue's Regenstrief Center and IU Health to lead fight against opioids in two Indiana communities Aug 24
Led by Purdue and IU Health, CORE-ECI — a consortium of university, health care, faith-based and local government entities — will work to improve prevention, treatment and recovery services in Blackford and Jay Counties ...
Northwestern researchers publish article on H3 practice facilitators implementation of CommunityRx-H3 in primary care practices Feb 15
Northwestern University's article published in the Annals of Family Medicine describes the H3 implementation of an evidence-based, EMR-integrated community resource referral system in primary care practices. ...
After observing COVID-19 testing on the West Lafayette campus, a team of lean experts from PHA and MEP mapped out the current processes and redesigned them for better flow. ...
Tara Hatfield and Leigh Ann Griffin to lead the board of directors of two Indiana healthcare-related associations. ...