ALP Certification Requirements & Performance of Top-level Competencies
To achieve ALP Certification, a participant must:
- Complete required ALP preparation work. Prep work required elements include Data Box Template, Time Observation Template, Lean Cell Assessment Worksheet, and VSA Scope section.
- Attend four (4) days of just-in-time training and complete course evaluation.
- Pass exam to demonstrate knowledge from training.
- Act as lead facilitator on one VSA event with the plan approved/signed off by the Executive Sponsor and PHA Lean Coach.
- Establish and support the Value Stream Improvement Team (VSIT) management process. Required certification elements of the management process include the first Rapid Improvement Event (RIE) starting within 60 days of VSA event; effective countermeasures; and completion through successful closure of two RIEs.
- Complete VSA A3 submissions to meet Scope, Solve, and Sustain timelines and receive PHA Lean Coach approval for each submission.
- Share your Lean work on CONNECT, our online community of practice.
- Continue the use of journaling, knowledge cards, and other learning-from-experience habits started as an LP.
Certification valid for three (3) years from date of issue. Failure to meet the certification requirements may impact your ability to become certified through the Advanced Lean Practitioner Path.
Performance of Top-level Competencies
An ALP will develop and demonstrate the following competencies:
- Prepare for and deliver four-day VSA events. Map and analyze the current state, define the reengineered state, define the future state, create a value stream improvement plan, perform a VSA metric alignment assessment and create scoping charters for rapid improvement events and projects identified within the value stream improvement plan.
- Assist with organizing and facilitating the value stream management process including VSIT meetings; updating the A3 and visual management for the value stream; gemba walks; planning for upcoming improvement events; troubleshooting events in the sustain phase; and otherwise assisting the value stream owner in the implementation of lean.
- Use PHA’s framework for a lean service cell including demand, flow dynamics (push/pull and one-piece/batch); standard work; 5S and visual management to assess, design and facilitate the implementation of service cells across a value stream.
- Prepare for, deliver, and facilitate to closure complex RIEs, well-established lean solutions such as rapid room turnover and supply pull systems, and those events that make use of choice architecture and other advance behavior change techniques.
- Identify lean improvements that are spread-ready and facilitate their diffusion across the organization by organizing and implementing a spread program.
- Identify the need for, and provide coaching and just-in-time training on lean principles and tools to value stream leaders as well as other managers and leaders in the organization.
Sign up for PHA eNews to receive communication on compliance reporting, process improvement and health IT news as well as training opportunities.
NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
“This Is Purdue” welcomes former Indiana Health Commissioner and U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams to Purdue as the university's first executive director of health equity initiatives. ...
Purdue's Regenstrief Center and IU Health to lead fight against opioids in two Indiana communities Aug 24
Led by Purdue and IU Health, CORE-ECI — a consortium of university, health care, faith-based and local government entities — will work to improve prevention, treatment and recovery services in Blackford and Jay Counties ...
Northwestern researchers publish article on H3 practice facilitators implementation of CommunityRx-H3 in primary care practices Feb 15
Northwestern University's article published in the Annals of Family Medicine describes the H3 implementation of an evidence-based, EMR-integrated community resource referral system in primary care practices. ...
After observing COVID-19 testing on the West Lafayette campus, a team of lean experts from PHA and MEP mapped out the current processes and redesigned them for better flow. ...
Tara Hatfield and Leigh Ann Griffin to lead the board of directors of two Indiana healthcare-related associations. ...